Since we are already in the middle of October (what!?) I have started thinking about Halloween! I’ve never really been into Halloween (aside from all the chocolate!) But since having kids, it has been fun to dress up and make some fun treats. And this year, since the 4 year old will be going to her very first school Halloween Party, I need to plan ahead a little because I want to make sure that there are some healthy treats available but still cute and fun for the kids.
I have been making these macaroons for a while now because they are SO easy and SO delicious! And now they are also cute and fun little ghosts which the kiddos will love!
Healthy Macaroon Ghosts (Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free)
adapted from Sweet Treats
1.5 cups unsweetened, shredded Coconut (buy it here)
2 Tbsp Coconut oil (my favourite)
1/4 cup Unpasteurized Honey
1 Tbsp Organic Vanilla Extract (where to buy)
Pinch of Himalayan Salt (like this)
1 cup dark chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a reusable baking sheet like this.
- Add coconut, coconut flour and salt into a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add oil, vanilla and honey and pulse to mix well.
- Use a tablespoon and your hands to shape the dough into ghost shapes and place on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes then rotate your pan and bake for another 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool for 10 minutes before moving. Put in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in a small pan over low heat stirring continually.
- Dip each frozen ghost cookie into the chocolate just covering the bottoms and place back on the baking sheet.
- Dip a toothpick into the chocolate and use it to make 2 eyes and a mouth on each ghost.
- Allow chocolate to set.
- Store in an airtight container. These also freeze very nicely.
Here are some more fun and healthy Halloween treats I found that I will be making as well!
5 More Healthy Halloween Treats
Tangerine Pumpkins from Bren Did
These are so cute and so easy to make and kids love them!
Fruit Mummies from My Fussy Eater
I just love these! So fun!
Grapenstein by Director Jewels
Another very creative and cute idea using fruit.
Bloody Cups by Elephantastic Vegan
If you are looking for a little ghoul then these are for you. Truthfully, they kind of creep me out but I guess that is what Halloween is all about and they are so simple and definitely yummy!
Halloween GuacaMonsters by Fork and Beans
These are awesome! These would go over great for a Halloween party!
Are you making any special treats for Halloween this year? Are you keeping it healthy or going all out with all the sugary stuff? Let me know!
Happy Halloween and Happy Baking,
Shared on Allergy Free Thursdays
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may
receive a small commission if you decide to purchase
something through these links. Your support is appreciated.