I know that everyone is in full on pumpkin spice mode but we still have a lot of garden zucchini to use up, sooooo I’ve got a delicious non-pumpkin recipe for you! I love zucchini but my family will not touch it! I find it to be such a mild flavour so I don’t understand why it’s so “yucky” according to the 4 year old. They will however, eat these brownies right up! So, if you’re family is difficult like mine and won’t eat their veggies, give this recipe a try! I’ve even put avocado in the frosting for an extra veggie (technically a fruit, but whatever) bonus!
They’re fudgy, moist (apologies for those who cringe at that word), grain-free, dairy free, nut free, refined sugar free, and full of healthy ingredients! The best part is that you can eat it for breakfast and not feel one bit guilty! Give it a try and maybe make a double batch because they go pretty fast in our house!
Grain-Free Zucchini Brownies and Avocado Frosting
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (other nut butters will work too)
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 unpasteurized honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Oil an 8 x 8 in pan.
- Shred the zucchini and squeeze out the excess moisture between some paper towel.
- In a medium size bowl, add all ingredients except the zucchini and chocolate chips. Mix really well.
- Blend chocolate chips in a food processor until broken into small pieces.
- Add zucchini and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool while you prepare the frosting.
1 large avocado
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder or raw cacao powder (like this)
1/4 cup unpasteurized honey
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil (my fave brand)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Blend avocado flesh in a food processor until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until really smooth.
- Keep frosting in the fridge until brownies are cool.
- Frost your brownies and try to not to eat all the frosting.
Featured on Allergy Free Thursdays
Do you love zucchini or not so much? Let me know if you try this recipe!
PIN IT for later!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may get a small commission if you click any of these links, at no extra cost to you. Your support is very much appreciated!